February 26, 2011
I’d love to build an app, which basically only manipulated data/prototyped data. Basically you would import mesh data/nulls/shapes etc (possible create base types: nulls etc) and rig/control them through a nodal work flow. I.e Max’s script controller in encapsulated nodes.
- Import models, objects, point cloud data – possibly create nulls etc
- Transforming wouldn’t need specific connections (i.e a transform handle node in Houdini)
- Parenting would be done in the viewport and possible show up in a schematic type view
- Each object would appear as a node or cluster (point cloud etc) – inputs/outputs being position/rotation/scale/xyz
- Local/world space could be used as input output
- Nodes could be grouped/compacted into digital asset/compound like object. i.e you could build an IK/FK compound
- Vector operations on the models etc
- add, subtract, multiply, inverse, transpose, dot, cross, power,exp, factorial, abs,ceil,floor,mod,arcLength,tangent, binomial
- sin,tan,cos, acos
Case Types E.g.
- If/else/elseIf/finally/then, continue/while, try/catch/throw/break
Value Types E.g.
- integer,float,point2,point3,point4, matrix n*n
- custom variables
- pi, e, etc
- Importing data – simple xml data, open customizable
- Animation support?
- Skinning support?
- UV support? Masks?
- Reference space – At one level we want to work on the object itself, at another we want to work on its vertices/knots etc. Operators need to handle both levels of abstraction.
- Is this just for prototyping? (i like this) – need XML to export data to be readable in a standard web browser for translating in final app max/maya etc..
Maybe I’m just describing Houdini/ICE, but this would be purely for visualizing/manipulating object relative data – custom subsystems e.g. iksolvers, rendering, animation layers, custom constraints etc etc..
More on XSI Compounds here: http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/xsidocs/ICE_compounds_OverviewofICECompounds.htm