September 28, 2007
Heres a list of what I’ve found should be in a rig. It’s from studying generalized rigs and demos, Building them, and most of all asking the animators I work with every day.
- Main torso control with keyable pivot
- Independant pelvis control
- Independant chest control
- Head control with keyable rotation space (local/world) and keyable pivot.
- FK/IK arms with keyable rotation space (local/world) in FK mode.
- FK/IK legs with keyable rotation space (local/world) in FK mode and keyable foot pivot in IK mode – additional support for quick pivot places (gui based).
On top of this, you could add stretching, breakable limbs, pinnable arms legs etc – but this is the bare bones rig.
Edit: The keyable head space pivot is an idea inspired by Jason Schleifer’s, Animator friendly rigging. Go check out his site here. And Bernard’s utterly stunning softimage reel over here. – sorry if there was any confusing, if people thought it was my idea.