April 28, 2007
So as I was mentioning on CGTalk, the rule I think to animating in transform spaces is that you dont generate automated keys. Or force keys to be generated in realtime – as basically you’d be generating keys for the target object everytime you moved pretty much anything else. So I think i’ll build a set of tools, animators can constrain and transform controls in any space when they want. The benefit of this is that there generating the keys, id have to build either functionality to work with the f-curve or maybe a ‘pseudo’ f-curve transform space when there using it.. else its just gunna be a transform type-in. As to this system it would work above the rig as a whole, that makes a lot more sence – basically our bodies/skeleton is setup and then ontop of this world interaction happens; we lean on things, rest etc etc.. transforms that happen ontop of how were built.
Anyway so i think ive locked down my rig, amazingly – (probably havent though) but the generality is there:
- Torso Control – controls upper body
- Hip Control – independant .Custom built (from the ground up) spline IK system, using either deboor, cardinal, Nurbs bspline or piecewise curves. Control of length, stretching compression, dynamic realtime if needed, automatic twist and bias control to fix pops.
- Chest Control – independant, drives head positionally
- Head Control – independant, drives neck when translated
- Clavicals – independant, drive arms positionally only
- Arms – IK/FK, independant orientationally. Ik with pole vectors.
- Hands, fk digits control, digit curling at second joint. Simple pose storing
- Legs – ik/fk pole vectors
- Feet – ankle, ball of foot and toe control
- transform space toolbox, ability to transform any control about any other control/object on the fly per shot. Possible custom controls built – but always making ‘real’ keys on actual controls.
- Twist on arms, control for bias position at shoulder and wrist. Additional skin tweeners at shoulder/elbow/wrist driven by positional space targets.